Miles Burghoff (known as “Sonar”) has a diverse fishing background. Growing up in Florida, Connecticut and California, along with traveling annually across the United States with his father, Sonar cultivated a strong passion for all types of fishing.
Early on, Sonar began showing a major interest for bass fishing, and when he was 12-years old he entered his first bass tournament near his home in Northern California. That tournament turned out to be the catalyst that would send Sonar into a lifelong quest to become a professional tournament angler. After high-school, Sonar left Northern California to attend college in Florida to start fishing competitively on regional trails. While at the University of Central Florida, he competed in the growing college fishing circuits, and established himself as a consistently strong finisher in FLW College Fishing and ACA events, as well as capturing the 2011 Boat US Collegiate Bass Championship title. Other tournament achievements include being the first and only person to qualify for the BFL All-American through the college ranks, two BFL SuperTournament wins, a 3rd place finish in the 2012 TBF National Championship and a number of top-5 and top-10 finishes. Currently Sonar competes in the Bassmaster Opens in search of a Bassmaster Elite Series berth.
Aside from the notoriety Sonar has achieved through his tournament fishing, he is known for his writing- including his regular contributions as a columnist for Bassfan.com- and his experience on television, including his position as host of the Oakley Big Bass Tour’s television show. Sonar is very passionate about sharing his knowledge and affection for the outdoors and continues to enjoy opportunities to teach people how to become more affective anglers.
Though Sonar is passionate about tournament bass fishing, his love for other types of fishing hasn’t faded over the years. Since graduating from high school in 2005, he has spent his summers in Southeast Alaska as a fishing guide for the Baranof Wilderness Lodge. He also enjoys spending time exploring rivers and streams in search of various species of trout and salmon.
Oh, and if you wondering why his nickname is Sonar- it’s a title his friends gave him because his father, Gary Burghoff, played the character “Radar” on the popular television series MASH.
Fishing Career Highlights
• Website: www.SonarFishing.com
• Guide: Baranof Wilderness Lodge (Alaska), Northern California bass fishing
• Bassmaster Open/FLW Rayovac Series Professional
• 2011 Boat US Collegiate Bass Champion
• Qualifier-2011 & 2013 FLW College Fishing National Championship
• Inducted into FLW’s 2012 College Fishing All-American Anglers
• 3rd Place- 2012 TBF National Championship
• Qualifier- 2012 BFL All American
• 2 BFL SuperTournament wins (2010, 2012)
• 8th place- 2014 FLW Rayovac, Lake Okeechobee (largest FLW field to date at 226 professional entries)
• Writing: Bassfan.com, Bass Angler Magazine, FLWOutdoors.com
• Television: (host) Sweetwater TV, (host) Oakley Big Bass Tour (2012, 2013), FLW Outdoors TV, Boat US Collegiate Bass Championship, Real Fishing with Bob Izumi